School activities (Environmental Education Centre)
By visiting our interactive education centre, students will have a valuable opportunity to learn more about ways they can contribute towards a sustainable future and successful waste management through reducing, reusing, recycling and recovering resources from waste.
Students will learn about several aspects of sustainability by working in groups to learn about good waste management practices. The hands-on activities include:
- Sorting out recyclables from waste
- Identifying household hazardous waste
- Turning landfill gas into electricity
- What is a landfill cell and how is it constructed?
- Introducing the R-Gang (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle & Recover)
- Shopping smart
- Looking at litter
- Creating artwork using unwanted objects
The activities in the Environment Education Centre can be modified for all primary school year groups.
Free of charge!
All activities are offered free of charge to schools located in EMRC's member Council areas of Bassendean, Bayswater, Belmont, Kalamunda, Mundaring and Swan. Bookings are essential. Schools must also provide their own bus.
Working with high schools
EMRC has been working with local high schools to complete a number of projects based around waste and environmental management. Before starting projects, students are encouraged to participate in a tour of the Red Hill landfill site and an induction with EMRC staff members to gain an understanding of how waste is managed in Perth's Eastern Region and the importance of reducing and reusing waste.
Future options for projects include:
- Developing garden art for the Environmental Education Centre using recovered objects and materials.
- Constructing outdoor furniture using recovered materials.
- Creating artworks for inside the Environmental Education Cente.
- Developing window coverings focused on environmental themes and using recovered materials for the interior of the centre.
- On-site rehabilitation projects.
- Working with students and teachers in developing their own waste-wise programs at school.
If you are interested in partnering with the EMRC on community service projects, contact Waste Education.
For more information contact staff in Waste Education: